I Have a Spanky New Comment Policy, and I'm Not Afraid to Use It
I have created a new comment policy in light of a recent spate of abusive commenting. I have always moderated my comments on this site to keep it safe for all its readers, but I want to make my commenting policies on Schmutzie.com clear for everyone. To make sure that happens, I now have a link to it in the footer of every blog entry, and I am also including the policy here in this post.
I welcome your comments on my blog entries — in fact, I'm a huge sucker for them, be still my heart — as long as they are respectful, relevant, and civil. I do not pre-moderate comments, so I trust that most of your comments will remain respectful, relevant, and civil without my intervention. However, in order for me to maintain this site as a safe place for all readers, I do occasionally have to step in and sort out issues. That is where this comment policy comes in:
Anonymous comments are allowed. I am not the biggest fan of not assigning your identity to your comment, but sometimes for matters of personal safety this is a must.
Healthy disagreement and debate are welcome. Discussion of differing viewpoints is important. Any disagreement that tips over into disrespect of individuals beyond the discussion of the topic at hand, though, will not be tolerated.
Your comments on this website exist on my domain, and I reserve the right to delete them. This is my blog, and I am not obligated to publish or continue to host comments that are inappropriate.
Without prior notice, I will delete comments that are:
- off-topic in such a way that they effectively derail healthy discourse
- intentionally inflammatory, which includes comments that are libellous, abusive, profane, pornographic, offensive, false, misleading, or which otherwise violate or encourage others to violate this comment policy or law
- a reproduction of copyrighted content from other sources
- a violation of another person's privacy by revelation of personal information such as addresses, phone numbers, emails, etc. within the comments sections of this site
- spam, which is defined as any attempt to advertise, solicit, or otherwise promote goods and services and leaving identical and repetitive comments posted on multiple articles
You keep ownership of your comments on this website. I do not own your comments, and I expressly disclaim any and all liability that may result from them. When you comment on my site, you agree that you retain all ownership rights over what you post here, and you agree that you will relieve me from any and all liability that may result from those postings.
By publishing your comments on this website, you grant me a license to post your comments. This license is worldwide, irrevocable, non-exclusive, and royalty-free. When you comment here, you grant me the right to store, use, transmit, display, publish, reproduce, and distribute your comments in any format, including but not limited to a blog, in a book, in a video, or in a presentation.
Is there anything else you would include in or exclude from a comment policy? Do you have a policy, or have you ever felt the need for one?