Is Your Facebook Post Missing an Image to Go With That Link? Use the Facebook Object Debugger.
Have you ever tried to post a link to Facebook, but Facebook won't pull an image to go with it? It can be maddening to have interesting content show up looking so plain and un-click-worthy, but it doesn't have to be that way.
What to do if Facebook isn't picking up a link's thumbnail image for your post:
- Go to the Facebook Object Debugger: https://developers.facebook.com/tools/debug/og/object/
- In the "Input URL" text box, paste the link you are trying to share.
- Click the "Fetch new scrape information" button.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page to see a preview of what your post on Facebook will look like.
- Does an image show in the preview? If no, go to step 6. If yes, go to step 7.
- If Facebook is still not posting the thumbnail image with the link in the preview, click the "Fetch new scrape information" button again. Sometimes it takes a few tries for the debugger to pull all the information for a link.
- Post your link in Facebook. The post should now look like the preview does in the Object Debugger.
May your link posts on Facebook never look boring again!